Mike Seeklander-Owner Shooting-Performance
Maybe you are looking for all the cool stuff about me…like stuff, I might brag about. Well, the truth is, I don’t brag. My background and history is below if you care to read it. Instead, if I had 30 seconds to tell you about me I would want you to know:
- I love coffee. Like really love it. Like, I dream about it sometimes.
- I have always wanted to play a part as the Rock’s (Dwayne Johnson’s) long lost brother in a movie.
- I love to shoot.
- My Myers Briggs personality test score fluctuates based on number 1.
And the rest of the story…if it matters:
Currently, Mike Seeklander is the owner of Shooting-Performance LLC (www.shooting-performance.com), a full-service training company and co-owner of the American Warrior Society. Mike was also the co-host of The Best Defense, the Outdoor channels leading firearm instructional show.
Previously, Mike was Chief Operating Officer, Director of Training, and a Senior Instructor at the U.S. Shooting Academy in Tulsa, Ok. He was directly responsible for the development of all U.S.S.A. training programs.
Prior to that as an employee of the Federal Government, Mike has served as the Branch Chief and Lead Instructor for the Firearms division with the Federal Air Marshal Service as well as a Senior Instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC).
He has extensive formal training and experience in all phases of military and law enforcement training. Mike is a highly sought after tactical and competitive trainer and a high-level performer on the competition handgun circuit. Currently, a nationally ranked competitor on the practical handgun competition circuit, Seeklander has authored/produced instructional books, DVD’s and has developed hundreds of lesson plans specifically related to basic and advanced firearms training.
As a local law enforcement officer with the Knox County Sherriff’s Department as well as the Knoxville Police Department mike worked in corrections as well as patrol and with the Organized Crime division.
In 1990 Mike joined the United States Marine Corps and was trained as an Intelligence Specialist with Top Secret clearance. Mike is a combat veteran of Desert Storm/Shield (Gulf war 1). He holds secondary MOS’s of Combat Engineer and Primary Marksmanship Instructor.
Mike is the recipient of numerous awards and honors in the law enforcement community and as a semi-professional shooter.
Shooting accomplishments are as follows:
- 2019 IDPA World Champion
- 2018 IDPA National Champion
- 2013 and 2014 IPDA BUG (Back up Gun) National Champion
- 2011 Steel Challenge World Champion (production division).
- 2007 European Championships (2nd overall)
- USPSA National Championships (top 5 overall numerous times)
- Area Championship wins: Area 7, Area 4, Area 1 (USPSA)
- State Championship wins (multiple times in some states): Oklahoma (USPSA and IDPA), Badlands Regional (IDPA), Tennessee (USPSA), Arkansas (IDPA and USPSA), South Carolina (USPSA), Georgia (USPSA), Texas Limited (USPSA), New Jersey (USPSA)
Having competed in the shooting sports nationally, Mike adds to this experience with more than 15 years of experience in various martial arts holding multiple ranks including a Black Belt in Okinawan Freestyle Karate and currently trains in Brazilian JiuJitsu under Christian Derr.